Day 13

Temples: 24, 25 Distance logged: 9.08 miles (Fitbit); 8.18 miles (Google) Steps logged: 21,035 (Fitbit); 22,807 (Google) Lodging: Utoco hotel

After a lovely breakfast and after saying goodbyes to my friends from the day before, I headed off to continue my journey. Yukiko had suggested visiting a coffee shop ひこうせん (Hikousen), but I decided I didn't have time because I decided to take a bus down to the cape of Muroto to save my feet, which were still badly hurting.

As I was passing ひこうせん, the owner flagged me down and told me to come in for coffee as ossettai. I told her that I was very sorry, but I didn't have time because I had to catch a bus. She told me I had just enough time and so I agreed and sat down for a little bit. I met 梅田純一, the artist who made all of the beautiful ceramic in the shop, and his friendly wife. As much as I wanted to stay and enjoy the nice environment of the shop, I had to leave and catch the bus that only came about once an hour. The staff noticed how rushed I felt and shortly thereafter, I was shocked to see the barista show up to pick me up in her car! I was so thankful for the lovely act, and made it to the bus stop on time.

I dropped off my bag at the hotel and walked to temples 24 and 25. The area around Muroto is very beautiful and spring-like: a big difference from the wintery browns I have been used to. But again, by the end of the day, I was in a lot of pain. I'm pretty sure I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot--I suppose that is the natural result of pounding dirt and concrete every day for nearly two weeks with a big bag on my back. I'm going to utilize bus and train to the extent I can until I get to Kochi city, where hopefully I can take some days to rest and buy any implements I need to feel better.

Comments

Popular Posts