Starting Soon
Tomorrow, Dwayne and I travel to Mount Koya, which marks the unofficial beginning of my journey around Shikoku. Staying at Mount Koya isn't exactly a requirement of the pilgrimage, but it is the headquarters of the Shingon sect of Buddhism, founded by the monk Kukai. Since Kukai accompanies travelers on their journeys to the 88 temples, it feels like the right thing to do to transition into the daily practice of traversing the island. Our vacation thus far has involved slowly but surely transitioning into being prepared for this pilgrimage. We have readjusted our time zones, activity levels, and comfortability with being foreigners. I'm simultaneously nervous and confident that everything will be fine.
Although I'm sure the journey will bring its own joys, I'm doing my best to embrace the comforts of the city while I can. Which means I'm washing my clothes and taking as many baths as I can fit in. I'm also enjoying the anthropomorphized fire alarm in our hotel room:



Comments
Post a Comment